Adamsville Hill: A Rum Runner's Hideout

“Young man, if you don’t get out you’re going to end up with a little round hole in the middle of your forehead.”

The words were polite and calm, but ominous, spoken to a youthful group of summer people during a late night visit to Briggs Beach during Prohibition, according to local resident Howard Huntoon.

Little Compton’s fourteen beautiful miles of coastline have long attracted tourists and sun bathers, but during Prohibition, the beaches also provided a convenient route to smuggle illegal alcohol. “Rum running” became an important way for locals to earn money, especially during the early years of the Great Depression.

Although the rum runners broke the law, their friends and neighbors usually looked the other way and even lied to local enforcement agencies to protect this income stream. Seasonal residents returning for the summer sometimes found cash in their mailboxes, payment for the use of their empty barns and land as hiding places for illegal booze.

Prohibition banned alcoholic drinks from 1920 until 1933, the result of the passage of the 18th Amendment to the Constitution. Most residents of Little Compton didn’t support Prohibition, and some took advantage of the demand for liquor to earn much-needed money for their families. Eleanor Simons, the daughter of Little Compton farmer John Flores, remembered her father’s secret rum running:

“I think people didn’t want anybody to know but I think they survived better because of it. Dad’s farm wasn’t as profitable to carry us through.”

The potential profits also enticed businessmen from other areas of the East Coast to set up shop. Manuel Avila came to Little Compton after Prohibition closed his bar in New Bedford, looking for a place with less of the competition and violence that was associated with the illegal liquor trade. In Little Compton he became a central figure in rum running.

Avila kept a safe house on Amesbury Lane where his trusted runners could eat, wash, and rest. In 1927, he bought the old Cornell farmhouse on Adamsville Hill. The house became the center of operations for his “gravel business,” a cover for his rum running. Located uphill from the Westport River, the house allowed for secret liquor deliveries at night and there were numerous places where the booze could be quickly hidden on the farm.

Today, the rum runners are often portrayed as exciting figures—cowboys on boats—but rum running required rough edges and desperate deeds, more than the romantic stories indicate. Rum runners faced the constant threat of being arrested or shot, either by the Coast Guard or by their rivals. Smuggling liquor during Prohibition was a dangerous, illegal business in an economically desperate time.

Many people also remember the Little Compton rum runners as farmers and fishermen, husbands and brothers. Manny Avila was known as a strong family man. His godson, Barry Federman, remembered Manny and his wife Nettie as “very fine, generous people, some of the nicest people you would ever want to meet.”

Images

Manny Avila

Manny Avila

Manny Avila was a devoted family man and long-time citizen of Little Compton, as well as one of the area's more notorious rum runners during the years of Prohibition. Photo courtesy of Barry Federman. View File Details Page

Manny Avila and Friends

Manny Avila and Friends

By 1953 - when this photo was taken - Manny Avila had been living in Little Compton for over twenty years. Long after the end of Prohibition signaled an end to rum running, he remained in the area as a well-liked community member. View File Details Page

Manny Avila's House

Manny Avila's House

In 1927, Manny Avila bought this house on Adamsville Hill to use for his rum running operations. This building and its surrounding property provided him with a safe place for receiving, hiding, and distributing illegal supplies of alcohol. View File Details Page

Audio

AUDIO: Connie MaGee is afraid to sled at Avila's Farm

View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Abigail Ettelman, “Adamsville Hill: A Rum Runner's Hideout,” Sakonnet Historical, accessed April 25, 2017, http://sakonnethistorical.org/items/show/16.

Related Tours

Share this Story